After years of helping people clean up their diet and educating them on how food affects the body, I would say one of the main excuses I hear for not eating healthy would be “I don’t have the time” or Healthy food takes too long to prepare and I’m too busy” – Food prep is the key people… Healthy, fresh & nutritious food does take a little longer to whip up than just grabbing a bag of potato chips, but that’s a good thing as it means that all the nutrients and minerals that your body needs are still in the food. It hasn’t been processed and stripped of everything good it had to offer. That doesn’t mean if you live a busy lifestyle you can’t eat healthy. It just means you have to be a little more organised and do some Fun Food Ideas! Food prep is key to a sustained lifestyle change of eating a healthy diet. Here are my top 5 tips to help you save time and speed up your food prep!
- Prep your food on a Sunday (or whatever day is a day off work for you). This can be quite fun and motivating. Knowing that you are setting yourself up for success at the start of the week by getting all your meals prepped and ready to go is awesome.
- Containers, get a bunch of plastic containers (BPA free of course) and use this organise your fridge. This will save time finding your food and I’ll also keep it nice and fresh.
- Do yourself a favour and get a Shredder Slicer from Kmart these things are amazing and will cut your food prep time in half! Grab a bunch of vegetables, fruits & even cold meats or eggs and slice them up for the week. The containers in point 2 will keep them fresh for days. Bulk slicing or dicing food will cut down your meal preparation and makes it as easy as grabbing a bag of chips 😉
- Bulk or precook your food. Dicing up and roasting a tray of sweet potato and putting it in the fridge makes for an easy addition to salads. Sweet potato cubes are awesome for a substitute for croutons. Having chicken fillets pre cooked makes for easy snacks or a good protein source to chop up for a meal on the fly!
- This one is for all you smoothie lovers, instead of making your smoothies each morning from scratch or even if you have the ingredients pre prepared and chopped up, you can take this a step furtherand pre bag your entire smoothie! By this I mean make a bunch of smoothies and put them in the freezer. You do this by grabbing all your favourite ingredients and putting them into a freezer bag including the protein powder if you use it. Then all you have to do is grab a bag out throw it in the blender with a dash of water (or whatever you use) and you’re good to go!
Those are my top five food prep tips that’ll save you time in the kitchen and keep you motivated to eat clean & healthy.