Did you know that parents are heading to the Counsellors office in higher numbers than ever before (both the school counselor for our kids and private counselors for ourselves)! I think it’s because our kids don’t have the same freedom to do kid stuff any more, and we the adults, are suffering because of it!
As a parent you know that being a kid just isn’t the same as it was when you were growing up. Nowadays they simply don’t get the same opportunities to challenge their bodies by climbing trees, hurling themselves down the steepest hill they can find, playing bull-rush or any other thing that might cause a bruise or scraped knee. Well our CrossFit Kids do just that… well maybe not the scraped knee part! But as a grown-up who survived life as a kid in the 70s or 80s, you realise that miniature people actually thrive when they move.
So the only question is – where can you get the best experience for them and get bang for your buck, an experience that keeps the kids both healthy and entertained and you sane (and quite possibly off the grog)!?? So you can spend your stress allowance on how to get Junior to clean his room rather than worry about where to enrol him, we will give you a bit of a breakdown on how classes work:
KIDS – phase where they grow out of picking their nose No longer small and sticky, they have morphed into a new kind of beast – the preenager! (Dang it, you’ve only just got used to the Gremlin thing happening). Now they answer back, someone elses kid has this that and the other so they have to have it too, and somehow they just intuitively know that you can’t actually send them to military school.
- Games – changed from little kid to big kid orientated
- Skill work progression – more foundational, functional movements – this time incorporating a kid level training bar (unloaded)
- Advancements on the vestibular work – climbing ropes, hanging upside down, handstand holds
- More games – because kids like fun and we like fun
- More on healthy eating – parents there are ways of curing their natural desire to despise anything green and healthy!
As an added bonus, healthy moving helps them maximise and consolidate their school learning, and as a parent life is hard – take an hour to put your feet up and watch your kid do some pretty amazing stuff (then you can go home and brag about them on social media).
TEENS –where you hope they’ve grown out of picking their nose because you are constantly harping at them not to pick at pimples The hormonal ones – – – enough said!
- Warm up – by now they want to be treated more like adults
- Skill work – consolidating the foundational and functional movement patterns – adding weight appropriate to their technical ability and form. This is the phase where they think grunting is a language form, so lets start giving them something a bit heavier to give them a genuine reason for grunting instead.
- Vestibular work – more climbing and hanging, increasing handstands to handstand holds and walking, progression onto gymnastic rings
- Continuing with healthy eating –making sure the emphasis is on health and discouraging restrictive eating
The takeaway for parents – The stronger they are and the better they move, the more difficult the chores you can assign them! Winning! Get in touch, let your kid have a trial class, see what it’s all about for yourself – we are always happy to answer questions and we pride ourselves on taking as good a care of your miniature people as you do. click here to register your child for a free trial