CrossFit Seminar Staff member James Hobart demonstrates the Dumbbell Thruster, which is really just a combination of the Dumbell Front Rack Squat and the Dumbell Push Press.
Initially squatting, with the dumbells racked on the shoulders, you drive through the heels to create an explosive upward movement once the hips fully extend, at which point you press upwards with the arms to end with the dumbells in an overhead position.
Points Of Performance
- Stand on feet with shoulder-width apart
- Dumbbells rest on the shoulders
- Elbows slightly in front of the body in level with the shoulders
- Hips descend back down, lower than the knees
- Lumbar curve maintained
- Knees in line with toes
- Make sure elbows don't touch the knees
- Hips and legs extend rapidly, then press
- Heels down until hips and legs extend
- Dumbbells move over the middle of both feet
- Complete at full hip, knee and arm extension