Huge congrats to Sam, our Athlete of the Month in October! Sam is a powerhouse and one of our very strong athletes who always shows such determination in training. Sam trains every day in the afternoon, often doing double sessions and attending our specialty classes. Always giving her all in a workout, and can be seen deadlifting 160kg or doing 100 wallballs unbroken! Sam's determination and strength shines through also in her rowing, and recently Sam achieved two more Australian indoor rowing records for 500m & 1000m!
Keep up the awesome training Sam, we look forward to watching you achieve many of your future goals next year, and we are grateful to have your fun and happy vibe in our community!
Lets get to know more about this inspiring athlete here:
- Name: Sam Smallacombe
- Age: 29
- Occupation: Chef
- How long have you been at CrossFit Access? 14 months ??
- What do you enjoy doing outside of CrossFit? Cooking, keeping active, camping/4wding & eating peanut butter ??
- What is your favourite and least favourite movements or WODs? Favourite- rowing, deadlifts, heavy squats and definitely wallballs ??
- Least favourite - bench or strict press & weighted running WODs ?
- What your biggest achievement so far? 2 new Australian records in indoor rowing. Finally getting strict & kipping pullups.
- What are your future goals? Perfecting gymnastics movements/T2b/c2b/hspu.
- Tell us something we don’t know about you. I love electronic dance music, definitely my go to workout tunes! & I hate scary movies!
- Who’s your box buddy? Cassie and Renae
- Why did you start CrossFit? To loose weight, get fitter and live a healthier life.. I used to play a lot of netball and I went to a 24 hour gym doing my own same boring routine and was getting no results trying to loose weight. A PT at the 24 hour gym asked me to try CrossFit with her and from that first class I loved it! My goal was to loose 15 kg and now I'm up to around 25kg..
- Each class kept me wanting to do better than the day before and made me keep coming back. When I moved to CrossFit Access my results and training improved immensely! Consistency is the key!!
- What do you love about CrossFit Access? The people!!! Everyone in our community!! Honestly, its the best part of my day!! The coaches are always so supportive and full of motivation, and the other members in class are just great people to spend the afternoon with and they just make you want to push yourself to be better.. Everyone supports each other and its a great community to be part of! Even better, the great vibe in the box makes everyone keep coming back for more - my husband has recently joined too and he now loves it just as much as I do!
- Any advice for anyone just starting their CrossFit journey? Take each day as a new challenge to be better than you were yesterday! Don't worry about what others are doing around you. Just work to be a better you. I couldn't squat the empty barbell when I first started, couldn't hang on the gymnastics bars for longer than 5 seconds without my hands hurting, but each day I tried to do a bit better than the day before. And each day gets easier and you slowly get fitter. Be consistent and push yourself. You can do it!