As the two Olympic Lifts require the barbell to move from the floor to an overhead position, we will need to add something to the Clean to get the barbell from the shoulders to the overhead position and so we reach the second part of the Clean and Jerk - the Split Jerk - demonstrated here by CrossFit Seminar Staff member Julie Foucher.
The Split Jerk is very similar to the Push Jerk we looked at last week, except that we increase the depth we can drop (and hence the weight we can lift), but splitting the legs into a lunge position.
To protect your knees and hips, make sure that your feet are in the correct position - in particular the back foot should be slightly turned inwards.
Points Of Performance
- Stand on feet with hip-width apart
- Position hands on the sides of both shoulders
- Elbows slightly in front of the bar
- Hold the bar with a full grip
- Torso dips straight down
- Hips and legs extend rapidly then press under
- Receive the bar in a lunge position
- Heels stay down until hips and legs extend
- Bring feet together, one foot at a time
- Complete when both feet are together with full hip, knee and arm extension